Friday 29 April 2016

(1) A Girl Born Under the Bright Stars.(Revised) (2) Two Poems About Mirrors. (Revised)

                         1.

 A Girl Born Under the Bright Stars.


I could not keep you from my mind
All through last night.
The bedroom clock ticked in the chilly darkness
Reminding me that now I live alone
How empty this house is,
An old brick shell stocked with musty shadows.

I recalled that February evening long ago
When you came quietly into this hostile world
As if on tip toe, fingers clamped to lips,
Eyes screwed tightly shut, hair plastered flat,
And just one fragile cry, one try out of your voice
As you lay, a helpless victim in the strong hands
Of the homely midwife;
And then your strange, exhausted, unreal silence
After the fierce hard work of being born.

After the midwife I was the first to hold you,
A small raw pulse of life
lodged in my nervous arms
As though my youthful strength was your new castle,
Your granite keep, your fortress of tranquility.
"Why is she here with me, not with her father?"
I asked my quiet companion,
A country girl with dazzling Irish eyes
And a strange flair for dreaming future times.
"Ah, one fair day I think that you will wed her,
Once you have stopped your roaming ways, that is".
And for that moment I really did believe her,
Caught, as I was, in the magic of that hour.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
March 30th. - April 5th. - 27th. - 28th. 2016. 
May 7th. 2016.

------------------------------------------------------------

                          2.

   Two Poems About Mirrors.
                      
                     Swans.


The swans live in a world of
                                  mirrors
Studying their reflections
Day after day
As they glide across the placid
                                          lake
Not knowing where is up
Or where is
down

                   
                      *

         Picture Perfect.


Love
When you look into the mirror
Do you see me?
& when I look into the mirror
Do I see you?
We are opposites in everything we do,
Opposite, yet equal:
Two separate pieces of a jigsaw puzzle
That joined together
Restore the broken picture:
Not the substance and the shadow;
Not the image and the eye,
But
2 reflections caught in a polished surface
Fitted with immense care and precision
To a blank                          divisive wall.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
April 13th. - 14th. - 29th. 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment