Wednesday 30 December 2020

My Home Is Europe. (ReWritten Poem)

Once upon a time I had a dream. 

I dreamed Europe was a single country, 
No borders to cross, 
No passports needed, 
Every European an equal citizen,
Whatever their ethnicity or religion.

Now my little England has smashed this dream,
Broken it to bits as if it had no worth,
Trashed family ties, embraced exceptionalism,
The vain belief that this small island nation 
Is extra smart and can out class the rest.
A racist scam that rips my guts with shame. 

Last night I chucked my Passport in the bin 
Because I felt just like a stateless child,
A refugee washed up on Dover Beach 
Confronted by a mob of hostile faces,
A barbed wire fence,
Huge guard dogs straining at their leashes.
Their handlers screamed out incoherent orders,
Torches flashing; handcuffs clipped to belts.

In spite of this I have not ditched my dream.
I must be patient, yet ready to speak true.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter. 
December 30th. 2020. - January 1st. 2021
This complete Re-Write, October 6th. - 7th. 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment