Thursday 9 April 2020

Maundy Thursday in my Garden.

Glowing in the April sun
Yellow and red cups of light,
Communion cups raised to the sky,
Cups innocent of the Blood of Christ.

I sit on the wide ledge of the window
Watching the tulips nod in the breeze
That lightly shakes them without malice,
Shakes them but does not break or shred them,

Beauty shredded into earth.

I sit on the wide ledge of the window
Listening to an uncanny silence
I have never experienced before in London,
The silence of multitudes holding their breath.

Today, it seems, is Maundy Thursday,
The day Jesus established the Eucharist,
The day, in church, we kneel and wait
As the candles burn low and the icons are covered,

Covered in grave cloths purple with grief.

But today the churches are closed and shuttered
Because of the plague that shadows the world;
And because I must now dwell in isolation
My garden has become a sacred chapel.

I sit on the wide ledge of the window
Enthralled by the shimmering sunlit tulips,
Deep cups balanced on tall slim stems
Rising straight from the tomb cold earth,

Communion cups waiting to be filled with wine
In the clear dawn glow of the resurrection.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
April 8th. 2020.
This poem can be read with Easter Tuesday Morning 2020..

No comments:

Post a Comment