Monday 17 June 2019

The Red and White Trainers.


Red and white trainers,
Brand new and glistening,
Luxury items designed to dazzle,
Catch the eye of a passing spectator,
Perhaps, even
Snare a lover,
As you ran by the river laughing and larking,
Scaring the birds so they flew off their perches
Up into a sky the colour of pewter,
The cool spring wind tilting their wings,
Frisking their feathers
As they ducked and weaved
Then skid-addled for cover.

And you, my lovely,
Half skallywag, half woman,
Enjoyed a transgressive moment of freedom
As you skipped through the cold waves,
Cartwheeled in the meadow,
All the time shouting
Look at me - Look at me,
How fabulous I am
In my red and white trainers.

But I, feeling old,
Too aware of your beauty,
Stood by, unmoving,
Heart breaking with wonder.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
June 12th. - 17th. 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment