Monday 5 June 2023

Becoming The Ghost of Hamlet`s Father, (Revised and Rewritten).

The instant I stepped onto the stage 
I seemed to enter transparent realities
I have not been conscious of since a child.
Then my mind was new and clear and
                                          mirror like,
Reflecting all things;
Becoming all things.

At first I had thought to burlesque my 
                                                     part,
But found I could not do it,
In fact, the instant I stepped onto that
                                     darkened stage,
I became the anguish deep in Hamlet`s
                                                    father,
And his strong baritone began to cloud
                                                my tenor
In a way that was so true it was not art.

Although my eyes were fixed upon the 
                                                      script
Because I had not yet mastered my part
I did not recognise the voice that spoke.
It seemed to sound in a far away dimension
That I was separate from, but also linked to,
Somewhere I did not dream but was not now.
I had entered a space adrift in many worlds,
And yet my feet stood firm upon the stage.

But the moment the scene ended I was back  
                                              in my daily life,
An out of touch old actor exiled to the 
                                                            wings.

Trevor John Karsavin Potter, 

June 5th, - 6th - 20th. 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment