Monday 31 May 2021

The Visitation. (Completed Poem)

Today, on the feast of The Visitation,
A pastel blue butterfly flew into my garden
And alighted on a branch
Of the wild white rose.

I stood quietly watching, afraid to move
In case I disturbed the sudden peace
That this creature had found
In my miniature garden
Just a breath away from the street outside.

The butterfly, riding the cusp of the wind,
Glided over the wall from the busy highway
Into a living space, so different from
The tarmac desert littered with traffic,
It seemed another country.

I had never seen before such a pastel blue butterfly
In the walled seclusion
Of my North London garden,
So I stood and watched without saying a word.

I stood and watched, my camera unused,
The lens too slow to catch an image
Of a creature weaving between the branches
Of a disorderly briar rose.

And I was thinking, as I stood as still as a rock,
That the sky pale colour of these butterfly wings,
Is a similar blue to the cloak of The Virgin
As depicted in ancient frescoes and icons.

Today is the Feast of The Visitation,
And it seems that this morning I have received a guest
Into the sanctuary of my garden,
A stranger bearing good news.
Her wings, balancing fine patterns on the morning air,
Shape delicate dances of praise.


 Trevor John Karsavin Potter. 
May  31st. - June 1st. - 3rd.2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment