Thursday 25 March 2021

Blackthorn Snow.


                       Blackthorn Snow.

Blackthorn snow, sudden, but not inconsequential. 
Unexpected storms break the rhythm of the year,
Especially in March.
I walk across the white hills searching for a trace
Of your introspective smile
                                             - Of your bell like voice
 In the wind shaken trees - in cloud shadows 
                                                        skidding over
The moist springtime snow.
My footsteps are the only ones that mark this path.
All around me I see blankness.

It was at Easter I first met you.
Easter nineteen sixty four.
You walked into the cafe and offered me an apple
From your knitted bag,
                                     (Your bag of tricks I named it).
You were only fourteen, but seemed five years older.
I was barely twenty one, naive and full of talk.
We spent hours discussing Braque and Dostoevsky,
The existential dramas of Sarte.

That day was nearly sixty years ago now,
In a very different city, a different century, a different
                                                             millennium.
A time far more honest than today. Far more intellectual.
(Perhaps I am growing old, but hope now seems grotesque,
                            a clown with rotted teeth and matted hair.
We then had Kennedy, that tragic morning star).

Our friendship lasted almost forty six years,
But then you crumbled beneath the surgeons knife,
A blazing light too easily extinguished, too quickly
                                                            turned to ash.
I walk across the white hills calling out your name.
There will not now be an answer.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter. 
March 25th. - 26th. - 27th. - 28th. 2021.
For Zoe Harris, gone ten years already

No comments:

Post a Comment