Saturday 24 October 2020

Late October Wistfulness.

The paving stones are ochre and red.
The swaying trees are dripping tears
Through a floating skein of mist
That swabs my eyes with webs and phantoms.

In my mind I am still cocooned in summer
Awaiting the rustle of new spread wings
To lift me out of this season of torpor
Into a forest of tropical colour.

Tonight the time turns backwards, not forwards;
The shadows lengthen at 5 o`clock,
They are sick with dreams, a smokescreen of fables
That blot out reason with terrors and rumours.

Trees shed their leaves because daylight is fading,
They are not concerned with the bonfires we light.
Crumbs that I threw on the footpath this morning
Have all been eaten by the passing birds.

I lost my way when childhood departed,
The dead leaves falling thick and fast.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter. 
24th. October 2020. - February 23rd 2022.

1 comment: