Thursday 7 March 2019

Bad Weather Friends.


I am your threadbare overcoat
That you throw on over your shoulders
To keep yourself warm
On chilled out winter days.

But I also feel the cold
When you hang me up in the wardrobe
And leave me there in the dark,
For week after week after week.

Just like you I need companions,
The chatter of friendly voices,
Even though the Taylor forgot
To sew a tongue into my inside pocket.

So in future, please hang me out in the hallway
So I may see the comings and goings
Of you, your friends and relations,
The cat that creeps in from next door.

This wardrobe is a walnut coffin
That stinks of dried sweat and moth balls,
Old shoes and things I can`t name;
This is no place for a friend to be dumped in.

So please, please, give me a break,
Let me witness the summer sunshine,
Snuggle close to your straw hats and jackets,
Your frivolous holiday wear.

I may not be much use in a heatwave,
And may take up a morsel of space,
But for the sake of our long term friendship,
Brother, please let me out of this place.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
March 4th. - 5th. 2019.
First seven lines were written on May 3rd. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment