Saturday 9 February 2019

A Bitter Isolation.


Brexit has clipped my wings,
I can no longer fly,
Soar over mountains and oceans,
Dance with the stars.

Brexit has dragged me earthwards,
Trapped me on an island,
Dropped me into quicksand
That will slowly suck me under.

I used to be a dreamer,
And some of my dreams came true
When I waltzed to the Berlin Philharmonie,
When I sang in La Fenice.

But now my dreams have been broken,
Torn up and thrown to the wolfhounds
By mobs who spit on reason,
Who love to hate their neighbours.

I love every inch of Europe.
I love every inch of Asia.
My dream was a single community
From Galway to Vladivostok.

But now, like ancient Prometheus,
I have been deprived of all the freedoms;
The freedom to soar like a lark,
The freedom to know my own mind.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
February 9th. 2019.

2 comments:

  1. Nice write. I also weep for Europe and the whole of mankind with the rise of the fascist right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of the fascists when I wrote "wolfhounds". When I took part in the People`s Vote march last October, the very few Brexiteers that confronted us could only use expletives against us, they could not offer any constructive criticism. I was astounded but not afraid.I still believe that reason can win out in the end, but it will be a close run thing.

      Delete