Thursday 21 January 2016

(1) Donegal Sunset. (Revised) (2) Josephine.

                1.

    Donegal Sunset.


Noctilucent clouds,
delicate threads of gauze
drifting on the atmosphere
high above the islands,
the softly murmuring sea.

translucent fabric binding
the arctic blue stillness
with delicate spider threads
of woven webb bandages
fifty miles high.

These threads seem to hold
the Nordic sky together
as though it were the sail
of a viking longship
drifting like a dying gull
into the final darkness.

I stand at the very edge
of the ancient seascape
on a solid ledge of granite.
The stillness keeps me company,
keeps me from the modern,
the autistic internet world
just a step or two behind me.

The walk has made me breathless.
My thoughts now come and go
in sclerotic fits and starts
that make too little sense.
My body aches and shivers
although it is midsummer
and the air is not too cold.

The cormorants skirl above me.
The shimmering skein of clouds
add lustre to the twilight,
a delicate luminosity.
this light seems to shut time down,
transfigure this west coast cliff face
into a holy mountain,
or perhaps a broken reliquary.

And for a moment the world seems strange,
remote from all I know.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
January 18th. - 19th. 2016. - April 22nd. - May 26th. 2016.
August 31st. 2016.
------------------------------------------------------

                 2.

          Josephine.


You may be an ultra rough diamond
But the first time that I saw you at the campsite
I had never seen a girl more beautiful
Or more worthy of the jewels I could not buy.

And the first time that we really got together
You touched my heart like no one had ever
touched my heart
                             in all my live long days.

Well, after thirty years it seems we are still a couple
Despite misunderstandings,
The long years spent apart,
The long haul journeys made for just an hour or two
                                                                       together.

And although hard cash remains a constant problem,
The bankers deaf, the loan sharks at our throats,
Perhaps one day I will purchase a paste tiara
                                To place on your nut brown hair.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
January 19th. - 20th. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment