Monday 29 June 2015

Two Poems. (1) Dragon Princess. (2) Recalling an Old Poet. (Revised).

                1.

   Dragon Princess.


When I was a child you mother said,
"Touch my belly and feel the baby inside me".

Now we are fully grown
I watch you flirting with crowds of men,
Lifting your skirt and laughing.

My eye on the clock, & disguising my pain
As if time had never happened,
I recall that morning in the park,
Your mother carefully guiding my hand,
Her belly fat as a pumpkin.

Now I watch you provoke this drunken crowd
With a raucous display of twerking,
And I remember the sparks in your mother`s eyes
When I stepped back amazed at you moving inside her,
And I wonder which leg kicked me.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
May 3rd. 1984. - June 30th. - July 1st. 2015. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

                  2.

Recalling an Old Poet.                      


Sorry Buddha
I can`t sit on the floor all day
Waiting for the penny to drop,      
I am an artist and a writer,
A dancer and an actor,
It is by hard graft and creativity
That I reach for truth
And sometimes glimpse Satori.

There was a poet I knew when young,
A soldier, a lover,
An ex pugilist, & never far from a barney.
He was my prototype, my hero,
My light on the future,
Writing scripts & poems until his mind gave out
At the age of eighty
And words became a babble.

He was a vendor of news and gossip,
A grizzled old beachcomber,
Notebook in pocket,
Some girl always in tow.
He trawled the sands for scraps of local knowledge,
Arcane or in yer face,
Ancient or brand new.
In his wise mind
Reality was apocalyptic,
Enlightenment an ecstatic love tryst
Carolled by loud cicadas
Under a burgeoning moon.

Buddha don`t tie me down,
Don`t bore me rigid,
Sat under the Bodhi tree
Waiting for something to happen
Day after day after day;
The poet has taught me to question,
and never to trust the answer
However concise and erudite.
His example I will cherish
In every word and careful action
Until the ink dries on the paper,
The last syllable trips and falls.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
June 27th. - 28th. - 29th. - 30th. - July 9th.  2015.

Notes.
Waiting for the penny to drop... = waiting to realize the truth.
a barney... = a fight / trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment