Thursday 18 June 2015

Two Surreal Poems. (1) Music Lesson.(Revised). (2) Halloween Haunting. (Revised).

                1.

      Music Lesson.



That morning early
You walked out of my room
With your guitar slung over your shoulder.

Well, it certainly appears that my rival
Has six strings
And a very elegant neck.

I cannot compete with such beauty,
I am old and somewhat tarnished,
Shaped like a Double Bass
and drooping every which way.

If you tap me hard, like a drum kit,
Or play on my nerves, pizzicato,
I will surely sound cracked and hollow; -
My good bow a jumble of horse hair,
My pegs flicked onto the floor.

But
If you decide to return, and I`m hopeful,
Just leave the guitar in the hall.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
18th. - 19th. June. - 6th. July 2015.

-------------------------------------------------------

                  2.

Halloween Haunting. A Cryptic Poem About Southwark.



Only good whores become saints.

The black cat with a human face
Stared out of the shadows of Park Street
Like a Winchester Goose turned bad.

I ran for the shelter of the market
But sensed that I was now hotly pursued
By a girl in a short crimson dress
Wearing a steeple hat.

It was at this instant that I decided
That marriage is a safer option
Than wandering the streets at night.

The brushing of your fur backwards
That Saturday night in the Snug Bar
Was merely a simple accident,
Not a revelation of my inner motives.

And when I brought up the Winchester Goose Girls
The reference was purely historic,
But perhaps the Hot Toddy was talking.

Love always comes at a price,
Especially for social misfits,
And a Party is no place to make friends,

We get woozy just staring at costumes,
And gabble inarticulate comments.

That red skirt did remind me of broomsticks,
But don`t you dare alter to please me,
I prefer the rough edges intact.

But remember, I do not like claws,
And I was not dropped to earth by a bat.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
November 3rd. 4th. 2014.
Rewritten June 19th. - July 6th. 2015.

The Bishop of Winchesters Geese were medieval prostitutes.
I hope that I have not offended any of the spirits of these fine Southwark ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment