Tuesday 17 May 2022

Sabatha of the Twenty Eight Stars, (2nd. Rewrite. New longer version Completed).

Dissolving blank masks in bitter tears
I meet your eyes, blue and piercing,
seeing me as I truly am.

Debussy on the radio
reminds me that your home in France
may soon become a distant memory.

And my favourite view of central Paris?
An umbered text book photograph
pressed between frayed, wine stained covers.

I have seen all things we both held dear
despoiled by pampered narcissists
disguised as caring politicians.

Religion can also seem divisive.
You meditate. I wear a cross.
Two customs often mocked - derided
by folk who only view our masks
and not the truths that live beneath them.

But hope burns deeper than politicking.
It seems hope is a child of love,
not of deceit and subterfuge.
Tyrants enforce passports and visas,
but cannot stop strangers becoming friends.

Thus it was for us when we first met
in a time of conflict and revolutions
when governments feared freedom of thought.
You smiled. I crossed the line to greet you.

Language is not a problem for us,
and customs are only shadow boxing,
so when I phoned you late last night,
your sad face flickering on the screen,
I knew that we are safe and well

and strongly bound together.
Love cannot be destroyed by loss,
or faith by separation.

Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
First Version: July 29th. 2016. - April 20th. 2020.
Ne Rewritten version: May 17th. - 18th. - 28th. 2022.
Umbered means seen through firelight in the context of this poem. The fires that ravaged Notre Dame de Paris; also the fires of Brexit and religious disharmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment