Sunday 10 January 2021

Media Magic Blues.

Mozart on the radio.
The Abduction from the Seraglio.
"Too many notes?" - Perhaps?

I sit in a very different country,
A very different time zone -
A lamp - a chair - a worktop -
A pile of A4 paper. -
A computer too big for my kitchen table.
Too many hours to scuff my shoes and doodle?
Too many hours? - Perhaps?

This room must be my whole world until April;
No Sultan - no eunuch guard - no volatile soprano -
To share my space,
To keep me company.
Their voices coming at me from the radio
Sing of exotic dreams that are not mine.

Deep January 2021, the night wind bitter,
Almost as cold as eighteenth century Vienna,
The courts ice black, - the gutters dripping snow,
Dogs barking somewhere for some wintry reason. -
Mode a la Turka popular this season,
A singspiel, put on in a freezing theatre,
Tells of sultry nights where east meets west,
Of kisses dipped in cyanide - and honey.

Now I am old such stories make no sense,
My dreams are simpler - all private to myself. -
I dream of friends I knew when I was twenty,
But the threshold is not cleared, and so we
                                                    cannot meet. 

Mozart on the radio.
The Abduction from the Seraglio.
"Too many notes? - Perhaps - perhaps - perhaps.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter. 
January 9th. - 10th. 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment