Thursday 16 January 2020

The Runaway Lovers. (From the Chinese).


You are the perfect mirror
Reflecting the cool blue skies of morning,
The clouds a distant memory.

Your smile is happiness without a flaw,
The simple gift that you give to me,
The perfect gift that you give to me,
And you have asked for little in return,

Only that I am patient with you always,
And never give in to bouts of anger,
Only that I am beside you when you awake,
Only that I am close beside you always.

In the cool blue light of early morning,
Reflecting my face reflecting yours,
You are the perfect mirror.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
16th. - 17th. January 2020.
For Ivy who will understand perfectly.

Although influenced by the translations of the poems of Li Ching - chao by Kenneth Rexroth,this poem is completely mine except for the imagery of the mirror reflecting the sky, which refers to a description of Lo Kuang by General Wei Kuang, but I have used the imagery completely in my own way, and moreover, I am referring to a young woman deeply in love. The couple in the poem were inspired by the lovers in the story created from the imagery depicted on the classic Willow Pattern plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment