Friday 15 November 2019

The Gift that is Forever. (New Version).


The night was very still.
The hum of distant cars was lost
Behind the shimmering wall
Of a hundred cherry trees,
And the pink snow of blossom drifted soft
Upon the sleeping houses
Stealthily.

You snuggled close and warm, just like a kitten
Seeking sleep and safety in my room
While urban foxes roamed from yard to yard
Scavenging for scraps.

This was the first night that I learned to trust you,
To accept the absolution of your love
Gifted freely without a single question.
Your quiet hope revoked my selfishness.

I thought I had grown too old, too cynical to love,
A divorced man who despised the Easter story,
Who mocked the ancient customs,
But when you arrived on my doorstep bearing lilies,
Cradled in your arms with such great care
That not a single leaf was torn or crushed,
My fiercest doubts melted like the frost.

You looked into my eyes and gently smiled,
Lost for words I leapt and laughed like a child.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
April 23rd. - 27th. - November 15th. 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment