Friday 25 October 2019

The Beautiful Night Dream of Li Qingzhao. From the Chinese (Revised).


I will never forget the time
I was so drunk the beautiful crimson pavilions
Spun about my head like wheeling flamingos.
My late night boat,
Lost among a thousand lotuses,
The flowers so many,
So tightly woven together
It seemed unlikely that we would ever be released
From this kingdom of floating blossoms.
In fear I cried out loudly to the invisible water Buddhas,
How to get free
How to get free
And a whole cliff face of startled egrets
And screeching gulls took flight.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
October 28th. 2019.
A response to the poems of Li Qingzhao, the wonderful Song Dynasty female poet. I fell in love with her original poem, and after reading a strictly word for word translation I responded by writing my very free version. I have made some small additions, especially the flamingos and Buddhas. I was trying to imagine how I, a twenty first century European, would have written this poem as a completely original work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment