Monday 25 July 2016

The Free Wheeling Poetry of God. (New)


Jesus is a poet,
Rumi is a poet,
Perhaps God is a poet,
Perhaps?
             

                Well,
never mind the answer to this question,
that is
           if a true answer can possibly exist;-
Butterflies are resting on my rose bushes,
and the scent of thyme scintillates the garden
like a memory of times past
when monks brewed remedies for common
                                                         ailments
from their stock of herbs,
and the inquisition searched for dark skinned
                                                            heretics
observing outlawed rituals   behind locked doors.


Perhaps they would have burned me as a witch,
or used hot irons to force me to recant,
or thrown a bomb straight through my bedroom
                                                                window
at sunset as I settled down to pray.
Well,
          never mind,
those times I think are past,
and the night is very sultry,
                             very still,
and the trees outside my house are rocking gently
to the songs of nightingales.


I shall now go pack my pens into their drawer,
then dance an hour or two in my back garden,
under a roseate moon,
a barren goddess reflecting far off light,
(I always believe in magic late at night).-
My dance shall be a poem without words,
a glimpse into a mirror, veiled and dark,
that words can only desecrate with noise.

Yes, perhaps God is a poet after all,
A poet banished from all holy books.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
July 17th. - 25th. - 26th. - September 3rd. 2016.

This poem is all about the free association of ideas and images, and peering below the surfaces of life to glimpse hints of the truth. Nowadays we are too much enamoured of the surfaces of things and are led badly astray by this infatuation. I strongly believe that God cannot be described in words, however profound and hallowed by long use. This maybe is one of the reasons why atheism can seem to be the easy option to take up when doubt comes calling, as doubt invariably does. God is often only truly experienced outside the covers of books, outside the straight jackets of traditions. I love all holy scriptures, but take them to be guide books, however beautiful. When I walk through bustling streets or in the quiet midnight fields of rural Ireland. A such times I feel so much closer to all that is holy than when I study sentences confined between hard covers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment