Thursday 22 May 2014

Three Poems. (1).Glasgow, May 23rd. 2014. (2). The Mermaid.- A fantasy for Josephine. (3).Debussy.

            1.

Glasgow, May 23rd. 2014.


Suddenly perfection
Is burned beyond recognition,
A pile of blackened embers
Smouldering in the street.

Farewell my lovely,
A hundred years of history
destroyed in half an hour,
And ten thousand bright
                       tomorrows
Now can never be.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
May 23rd. 2014.

Written on seeing pictures of Glasgow School of Art on fire.
===============================================

            2.

   The Mermaid. (Revised Version).


You are my little fish
Darting through the black waters
Of the midnight river.

Stunned by your beauty
I plunge my arms deep into the swirling currents
To grasp your lithe energy,

Your liquid strangeness
Now weaving away from me
As though I were a hunter,

A fisherman with a net.-
"Gotcha!" I cry, as I snatch you from the waves
With a deft coordination
Of nerve and muscle.

You lie as still as a sick child
On the bank of the starlit river,
Eyes focusing on nothing.
I fear that you are dying.

I reach out to embrace you,
But you snare my outspread fingers
As though they were more precious
Than platinum or silver.

This sudden movement scares me,
Such elemental abrasiveness
Defeats all understanding.

How can I give you back to the dark stream
Now that your ethereal beauty
Has stunned me out of reason?


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
May 22nd. - 26th. 2014.
================================

                 3.

           Debussy.


Revealed by artifice and
moonlight
That gastronomic delicacy
A smidgen of freshwater snail
Sliding filigree arabesques
                       Delicately
Discreetly
Upon a pale blue port hole
In the melancholic midnight
Of the Esplanade Aquarium.


Trevor John Karsavin Potter.
March 10th. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment